Why go fast? Many reasons:
- First mover advantage is important.
- There is no such thing as a unique idea. I guarantee that someone else has already thought of your wonderful web service, and is probably way ahead of you. Get over yourself.
- It forces you to focus on the key functionality of the site.
- Being perfect at launch is an impossible (and unnecessary and even probably detrimental) goal, so don't bother trying to achieve it. Ship early, ship often.
- The sooner you get something out there, the sooner you'll start getting feedback from users.
The EB program has me thinking about the end user, differentiation, first-to-market, rapid prototyping, start-ups, entrepreneurship, corporations...
One of our speakers talked this morning about how important focusing on users is. That's what I bring to where I work - I care.