Sunday, October 10, 2004

Ayn Rand

I have to say, no author has ever struck me the same way as Ayn Rand has. She is so utterly, totally wrong about the way humans should be that I cannot understand her point of view except to say that it is a reactionist viewpoint to communist living.

The thought that you should never do the good of someone else if you don't gain is selfish. Where would we be as a society if everyone followed this economic view of interpersonal relations?

(If you aren't following, Ayn Rand is an author who writes books about how man's happiness is the only end to which one should strive. Or woman's happiness.)

So why do so many people do things that benefit themselves only by putting others down? Is superiority that important to them? Does it make them happy to think they're better than someone else?

Do things for others for no reward. Make someone happy today because you can. Put yourself out there for the betterment of society.

To quote Ignatius : "Lord, teach me ... to give and not to count the cost ... save that of knowing that I do your will."

I am not religious, but there's something about the prayer of St. Ignatius that strikes me at the core.

Peace

Matt

No comments: